As I sit down to type this entry I am taking a break (procrastinating) from typing up my midterm for my students. A few thoughts have come up since I started writing the test, number one being HOW is it already halfway through the first semester? At the risk of sounding cliched, time is flying by. Hour long classes are turning into days that quickly lead to the weekend, and in turn two months have passed since I've arrived in Thailand. Christmas is around the corner, and of course I'm having a hard time believing that with the help of 90 degree days, the sunshine and palm trees outside my windows. I'm also having a hard time coming up with this test, as of course we have been given rather vague instructions on it. Making one test that is supposed to last 50 minutes for eleven classes that have very different levels of English is going to be difficult. Actually, it is difficult, hence the break I am taking from it right now.
This past week went by smoothly, and with Monday off it was a four day week. The three of us had been asked to participate on Saturday as native speakers at an English Camp offered at the Princess Chulabhorn College, a local school in Trang. We were to come up with a thirty minute activity to present to eight groups of Matayom One students (the grade I teach, so 13 year olds). This school is one of the best in the South of Thailand and ranked nationally, so they have higher levels of English and were a lot of fun to work with. Each group had their own 'action song' so they sang and danced for everyone. The kids were enthusiastic and enjoyed the camp, and we were able to meet a few more foriegn teachers that live in Trang. It was all around a successful day and it was nice to recieve an envelope of 1000 baht at the closing ceremonies.
Sunday was of course my time to lie around and enjoy a day off. After about two years of going to school and working during the week and then serving every night and every weekend, I'm fully taking advantage of my nights and weekends off. It's so nice to not have to spend all my free time waiting tables. I am in love with Tesco Lotus, the Thai version of WalMart. We headed there for some groceries and stuff for the house and it makes life so much easier (They even have the same slogan "Everyday low prices"). I did search for a good amount of time looking for sheets for my bed and still ended up with two fitted sheets that are too big... Mai ben rai.
Okay and I want to brag about how I'm not knee deep in snow and how beautiful it is all the time, but it has been raining quite a bit lately. We were stuck inside again yesterday... I digress. Things are going well and I hope home is wonderful, as well. I have four more days of school this week and then another eleven days off for midterms and New Year's Eve. It will be nice to have the holiday off, although I'm not sure what I'll be doing yet.... I should get back to my test writing.
Lah gorn!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment