Within the first few days of camp here at APIS, I was approached by the admissions director in charge of camp and asked if I was interested at all in a job with this school, along with the other non staff member working. She had been asked by the headmaster to see if there was any interest, as there are openings available. I politely declined without much thought because I sometimes forget to think before speaking. I'm working on that. After many more days here and a lot more thought to the offer, I started thinking to myself why the hell not?.
First thing that came to mind was my year contract with Wichien. Actually the first thing that came to mind was my boss, who I am incredibly fond of and would never want to leave in a bind, one similar to my roommate leaving mid semester a few months ago. Then I remembered a brief but important convo I had with said boss in February about my future at my school. Our school is notorious for it's bad student behavior, a factor that plaques not only foreign staff but Thai as well. The large classes, fifty is the average, make teaching anything difficult, but especially teaching a language when smaller numbers are ideal. Back to the convo, five of our six foreign staff were peacing out for various reasons and I was the only one that the school still has an obligation to keep around. There was talk of cutting our program back to two foriegn teachers, one for M1-3 and one for M4-6 and taking the better students and putting them into mixed classes. There was also the option on the table of cutting our program completely. This was something that Achanee had only discussed with me when I caught wind of it and brought it up to her. The end result was never fully disclosed to me, but I was left with these parting words... "Your job is not in danger. But if it is, I can find you a job anywhere you want." Yikes... At the time I was kind of distraught because I had come to be fond of my less than ideal school and especially the town and staff and friends I had made in Trang. Coming up to APIS, however, has been amazing. I'm starting to overuse that word... but it's so true. Even before I started working and when I was just bumming around Chiang Mai, I was enjoying myself immensely. I'm still awaiting the word from the headmaster here, about open positions and if there are still any, so things are still up in the air. I admit that APIS would pay me more, but that really isn't really a factor in my decision, as I was living quite comfortably at my 22/month in the south. They would require I sign at least a year contract, their norm is actually a two year contract but could work out a year for me. It's a lot to think about and is actually starting to stress me out a little bit. For now, though, the only thing I can do is enjoy my last few days of camp, maybe APIS and know that everything will work itself out.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
You know your Mom and I have never been afraid of change. Change is usually good, if you let your heart be your guide. Talk it over with Auchanee and let her know how you feel. Then go with your heart. You'll figure out what is right, and what is best for you.
Dad
I just wish I could give you a hug right now. You are correct, everything will work out. Love you, Mom
Post a Comment