11.29.2007

Looking up.

It's funny how things work out sometimes. As I mentioned before, I have 11 classes of fifty students each, all of which I see twice a week. For the most part, I get along just fine. I plan out my lessons, take time to evaluate the needs of the varying classes and go on my way. The classes are divided in a way I am still not very clear on. The one thing that is most evident is the fact that my 1/1 class has more skills in English than my 1/11. The behavior problems tend to rise with the higher the number, too. Getting through a carefully planned lesson is easy in my 1/1, whereas in 1/11 I am spending a majority of the time disciplining. It's a frustrating cycle and some days I want to scream. I mentally prepare myself for fifty minutes with these kids, and usually only get about 25 minutes of actual learning in. It's frustrating, but a challenge that I am certain I can tackle.

In place at our school is a form of scouts. Boys and girls alike in Thailand are required (I think, it may vary school to school) to have scouting as a part of their education for a number of years. The three grades that participate come to school in their scout uniform, and let me tell you the only thing more amusing than all these kids in their uniforms and hats is seeing the adults in charge in theirs. I actually love it. (Pictures will follow). The director in charge of the scouts has worked at the school 32 years and strictly told us new teachers to bring names of misbehaving students to him and he would deal with them. They actually can still hit the kids, and use a switch with them if all else fails.

My personal philosophy, in the classroom and outside, is relationships and learning stem from respect. Building upon classes taken at OSU and my own beliefs, I feel that you can be the best teacher alive but without a mutual respect in the classroom, lessons can fall short. Teaching goes beyond lecture and extends to leading by example and so forth. I realize this teaching assignment is extremely different from what I will have in the future, but simple principles remain. So because of these ideals, my stubborness prevailed and I kept to myself about my students behavior issues, thinking I could handle everything on my own and my students and lessons would be all the better because of it. In talking with the head scout one day it came up and he promised to only talk to my students about their behavior. Later I learned he did talk to them, but with a harsh threat of the switch if they acted up.

And how was the next class with those students? I must say it was hard to go to that class without feeling a little let down in myself. I felt slight failure in not being able to handle them on my own. Education is a huge part of who I am and what I want to do, and a lot of foriegn English teachers here (no offense to any of them) don't take it as seriously as I do. But how were the students that were talked to? It was a 180 with them. They were laughing and fine with me... some things I will never understand. The Thai education system might be one of them. There is one thing I do know, however, and that is things are definitely looking up. After a month with these kids I can see change and effort. Although it may not be huge progress that I desire, it is promising for the future months.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice post- it says a lot about you and your character. Eastern cultures are difficult to fathom for westerners, and 12 year old boys are unfathomable to everyone! Keep up the good work!
Dad

Anonymous said...

Keep your chin up!! I know how frustrating it can be, I have some of the same issues but with 3-5 year olds, you can do it.
Nicole