So it is officially Thanksgiving here in Thailand. Not that this blessed holiday means anything to the Thais, as there is no reason for them to celebrate. I am sitting at school, as we speak, and definitely missing home a little bit. One of my roommates came up with the idea to head to KFC, one of the few American establishments in town, for dinner. I don't even eat that at home!! So no homemade mashed potatoes and gravy, no pumpkin pie or turkey or anything else on the menu for the Scribner feast that is Thanksgiving dinner. If anything is bothering me about not being home it is definitely the family aspect. I will miss hanging out in the kitchen helping make food, or just lazing around on the couch dreading upcoming finals watching the Macy's parade. We still don't even HAVE a couch. Sometimes it is easy to overlook the reason this holiday exsists, and to chalk it up as another day or two off and eating good food. But I am across the world and it is very clear to me. Sometimes it takes distance to show you how much something truly means to you. Okay so here are some things I am thankful for:
Mom, dad, Ashley... family first and most importantly. Aunts and uncles are up there, too : )
Emails from home and internet cafes.
Being able to get daily emails from home and not having to rely on regular mail to communicate.
Friends, and hearing what they are up to.
Jason.
Thai people that can speak English.
Thai people that are patient enough to help me learn their language.
Being able to spend this year in Thailand.
Night markets with cheap food and movies and everything else.
Lots more... but school is letting out and we have to get on the songthaew to go home.
I started this early today and then had a terrible lunch. ON THANKSGIVING. That is so against the rules. So I'm going hungry until dinner... eat something delicious for me!! Happy Thanksgiving!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
We will definitely be missing you on this Thanksgiving, mon ami!
Mom and Dad
Happy Thanksgiving Tori!! Hope you get to enjoy yours :-).
Nicole
Hope you had a good Thanksgiving!
Allen
Post a Comment